I really love making an effort to look after my skin, not just by choosing to use the most purest and effective products externally, but by healing and nourishing my body internally. Truly healthy, glowing skin starts from the inside. I learnt this after many years of struggling with painful and embarrassing skin issues and trying various chemical laden skin care products that did absolutely nothing but strip my skin of its natural oils and add to my body’s toxic load. You may already be aware that the majority of skin care products contain awful, unregulated synthetic ingredients and there is no one that regulates the use of these chemicals. Thankfully you can seek out recommendations and research from independent organisations such as The Environmental Working Group that test cosmetic products for toxicity levels, carcinogens and potential allergens.
Could you potentially eat the products that you are putting on your skin? If not, then you probably don’t want to be using them. What we put on our skin, goes within, straight into the blood stream.
What do I do to look after my skin from the inside?
- Eat a nutrient rich, whole food and highly digestible diet.
- Consume healthy fats. This macronutrient is crucial to dewy, glowing skin. Essential fatty acids found in foods such as avocado, coconut, hemp, chia, wild seafood and grassfed, free range and organic beef feed your skin from within.
- Include plenty of fermented foods such a kefir, sauerkraut and coconut yogurt to provide an abundance of enzymes and probiotic bacteria essential for a healthy digestive system.
- Consume an abundance of mineral rich foods and avoid anti-nutrients found in un-properly prepared grains, nuts, seeds and legumes which bind to essential minerals in the gut, preventing their absorption and inhibiting the digestive process. Zinc and silica are particularly important for skin health.
- Consume foods rich in fat soluble vitamins A, E and D such as sunflower seeds (activated), avocado, organic eggs and organic chicken liver pate occasionally.
- Lots of chlorophyll rich foods such as spinach, spirulina, chlorella and kale and green juice!
- Foods rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids such as berries, amla berry and GMO free vitamin C supplements.
- Consume gelatin in the form of bone broth and pasture raised bovine gelatin and marine collagen supplements.
What do I do to look after my skin on the outside?
- Cleanse my face morning and night with Devita Aloe Vera cleanser.
- I also love the oil cleansing method for a deep cleanse and do this frequently.
- I make up a facial scrub using aluminum free baking soda, raw honey and sea salt and use this fortnightly to exfoliate dead skin cells.
- I occasionally do a clay mask using green clay and apple cider vinegar.
- I moisturise with organic cold-pressed jojoba oil and rosehip oil. I have also recently been adding in a drop of wild frankincense oil at night too.
- I sometimes wear a natural tinted moisturiser on top of my moisturiser. My favourite is Devita’s Moisture Tint.
- I wash my body with organic baby castile soap, dry body brush and moisturise with either coconut oil or Young Living’s Cel-lite oil blend.
- I like to occasionally make up a body scrub using baking soda, organic ground coffee, sea salt, raw honey, raw sugar, jojoba oil and water for a full body scrub. Warning: messy!
There you have it, my tips for flawless, glowing skin. Healing your skin, is a process and does not happen over night. When the bodies toxicity levels fall, the gut heals, hormone levels regulate and the immune system settles, that is when the magic begins to happen.
Trust in the process, trust in your body’s incredible, innate wisdom and healing abilities and love your body to bits! It will love you for it!